Tips for driving abroad

If you’re planning on driving abroad this year, be prepared. Service your vehicle before leaving the UK, and check you can comply with the vehicle requirements of the countries you’ll visit.

Don’t go without taking:

  • Travel insurance documents.
  • Registration document, driving license, and passport- check if you’ll need an International Driving Permit.
  • Your U.K. motor insurance certificate,
  • Green Card (if issued).
  • Breakdown policy and contact numbers.
  • Emergency helpline numbers.
  • A spare set of car keys.
  • GB sticker and a set of headlamp converters.
  • Fire extinguisher, first aid kit, tool kit, spare bulbs.
  • Warning triangle.

What about insurance?

Consult your insurance company or a motoring organisation before leaving the U.K. to make sure that you are fully insured. You must have minimum cover for your liability to third parties. Remember: this may not cover you for medical or hospital expenses after an accident.

What is a Green Card and how do I get one?

A Green Card provides NO insurance cover in itself, but it is an internationally recognised document that proves you have the minimum insurance cover required by law in that country.

Where will I need a Green Card?

Not in the EC and certain other European countries where your Certificate of Insurance is enough. Check with the Association of British Insurers as to whether the country or countries you plan to visit requires a Green Card.

Do insurers charge for a Green Card?

No. However, a broker may levy an administration fee for arranging it.

What if I am involved in an accident abroad?

Immediately tell your insurer or your insurer’s representative in the country if you’re involved in an accident. Many insurers offer 24-hour U.K. – based emergency telephone helplines. Make sure you have the number handy.

What if I break down abroad?

Vehicle breakdown policies can be bought with your holiday insurance or with your motor insurer. A policy will usually cover the cost of:

  • Hiring a car while your own is being repaired
  • Road-side assistance and emergency repairs
  • Returning your car to the UK or sending out spare parts
  • Emergency accommodation